Sunday, October 23, 2011

Where you stand

I live on Seward's Neck, a peninsula that offers views to the east and northeast from my road of a bay and several islands, among other things. One thing I quickly learned: what you see depends on where you are standing. Even a small turn in the road that I live on gives you a very different view. I can't see the "downtown" of Lubec from our windows; but walk even fifty feet from the house and it is in clear sight from the road. What changes? The angle of sight... the trees.

Then there is the question of the road. It is so common to be totally unaware of what is beyond the trees or shrubs on either side. I was amazed when we visited the house of friends, less than one-half mile away, on the same side of the road, and not far from the road at all. They have a view to the west - not the east. They look out upon a different bay, one that I had never seen before!

No comments:

Post a Comment