Saturday, October 22, 2011

How's it going in Maine?

It's really good. Four months ago I left the cubicled beige desert to live in Lubec, the most down east town in Maine. Instead of fitting music into my daily and weekly routine, it is what some might call my full time job. That term "full time" is inaccurate, though; I do not have a job, and I have only gradually begun to understand what that means. Yes, music is my primary pursuit, but it is part of what I hope is a more integrated life.

There has already been much opportunity for Linda and me here, in terms of getting to know people, enjoying the surroundings and creating a place for us to live. Musical opportunities have also abounded. I have to decide which ones to pursue.

A big challenge for me has been how to go about my day. Some days I seem to "get a lot done." Other days I get a little done. The same time has passed. Each day is as precious as another. I don't always have to "get a lot done." What I do need to do is to stay awake and present. Each day is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment