Sunday, February 3, 2013

Creation and Creating


Here are a few thoughts I have picked up over the years that 
say something about my approach to composing music:

“What I have in my heart must come out; that is the reason 
why I compose.”
         - Ludwig van Beethoven

“I myself having been created, I cannot help having the desire
 to create.”
         - Igor Stravinsky  

“You must do something to make the world more beautiful.”
         - from Miss Rumphius, by Barbara Cooney

“Soli deo gloria”  
         - Johann Sebastian Bach would write the initials SDG 
           (Glory to God alone) at the end of a completed score. 

“Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness, or perhaps
 of sub-consciousness. I wouldn’t know. But I am sure it is the
antithesis of self-consciousness.”
         - Aaron Copland

 “The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks 
his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its purposes through him.” 
         - Carl Gustave Jung

No comments:

Post a Comment