Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Work: Devotional Chants and Mantras

I recently finished the score of a collection of fifty short chants and mantras that have "come to" me at various times over a period of years, from about 1992 to last month. Sample pages of the score and a link to audio clips of some of the selections are at posted at:  


http://www.johnnewellmusic.com/Vocal.html


It was quite a challenge to collect them from various pieces of paper lying about; often a chant would come to me at a time when I was not had no music paper handy, so I would quickly jot it down on whatever piece of paper I could put my hands on. I expect that the collection will continue to grow.  

I composed the texts, unless otherwise indicated. These chants are appropriate for personal devotion; many of them will work also in a group worship setting. Accompaniment is optional, and may be helpful in some cases. In a few of the chants I couldn't resist writing out simple chordal accompaniments; but again, these are not necessary. One may find it helpful to use a one or two note drone; a two note drone should be tonic and dominant notes (e.g. C and G). 

I notated the chants in a voice register that is comfortable for me. You should pitch them wherever it is comfortable for yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment